Monday, February 11, 2013

It moves like Jagger!

Got the motors running just now!

I had quite a struggle getting them to run due to a) pretty crappy chinese documentation and b) I missed the fact that each motor had it's own enable line that must be held high during operation.
But they seem to be working fine and are actually a lot less noisy than I expected them to be.
Hopefully they'll have enough juice to drive my rig...

1) Driverboard, power supply and X,Y,Z-stepper motors. In case you're wondering why there are unplugged cables everywhere - the motors are bi-polar 6-cable versions and only 4 are required. They will be cut appropriately during assembling... 
Now I'll just need to get my hands on the rest of the parts and start building!

2 comments:

  1. nice. they nema23's? whats the amp draw on those babies? I have a bunch of nema17's for my reprap I'm building.

    what spindle are you going to use for your router?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, good eyes! ;)
    Yepp - they're Nema23's. They are rated at 3A each and hopefully have enough torque to drive my rig. Actually, I couldn't prevent them from spinning by holding the axel manually so I'm not awfully worried about that. :P
    57BYGH633 is the model number.

    I will be using a multitool for the prototype version, which should suffice as a proof of concept. I've seen a large amount of smaller CNC's on youtube using dremels/multitools etc with pretty decent results. But eventually I'll replace it with something similar to this one ( http://preview.tinyurl.com/bv74csu ).

    Still haven't gotten my hands around actually building it yet, still working on the plans (constantly redesigning!) and still haven't purchased the remaining hardware (wood/MDF's, screws etc). But soon! :)

    ReplyDelete